Sunday, February 27, 2011

I Am The Wretch …

Oh, those days when Scripture and life and reading the blogosphere converge …

You know how it goes ~ a quote from one blogger here:

 “Just because you have the gift of discernment doesn’t make you right all the time.”

A Scripture reference from your Bible study there:

     “The arrogance of your heart has deceived you,
      You who live in the clefts of the rock,
      In the loftiness of your dwelling place,
      Who say in your heart,
      ‘Who will bring me down to earth?’ *

*New American Standard Bible : 1995 update. 1995 (Ob 3). LaHabra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.

Being asked to give the chapel message in a place that is totally out of your comfort zone … and let’s just throw in the quote I came across from a well-known theologian for good measure:

"If you seek humility, try hard work; if you would know your nothingness, attempt some great thing for Jesus. To really feel powerless, share the gospel and you will know what a weak unworthy thing you are." ~ Charles H Spurgeon

It all adds up to this:

I am the wretch

In many ways I couldn’t feel more inadequate to the task of speaking at this chapel service. In others I am thrilled and elated that God has allowed this opportunity. But lest I forget I am the wretch … I want to go on record to say that terrified or ecstatic I will never be able to do this without His Sovereign hand guiding me.

There’s more to this story than I’m willing to share here today ~ the magnitude of what God may do through this remains to be seen. I will definitely report back in a couple of weeks – I’m sure with a story of how great and glorious is our God. Until then, I would covet your prayers … and sing with me:

Amazing Grace Lyrics

John Newton (1725-1807)
Stanza 6 anon.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Blessings,

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment