Monday, March 28, 2011

I Will Hide Your Word...Your Truth...In My Heart

I’ve been on an unexpected hiatus from blogging recently. Not for lack of wanting … but God has had me “working out my salvation” (a la Philippians 2) in some of the most precious experiences. Some so precious I am reluctant to share, but share I will ~ in a few days.

Until then I want to share with you some of the themes God has speaking to my heart and in so doing I’ll also be sharing some other resources that have inspired me along the way.

You might want to grab a cuppa something and maybe your own journal as you take this journey with me. I would love to hear what inspired you as you went along the way.

Theme #1 Retain the Standard

I have been thinking a lot lately about the allergy our culture has to truth. Not just telling the truth, but believing truth, affirming truth and standing up for truth. Of course I am talking about the truth of the Scriptures. It seems everywhere we turn I see people compromising the truth of the word for political correctness, or social justice, or simply their own version of truth.

My husband Howie and I have been leading an inductive study in 2 Timothy. Of course Paul, nearing the end of his life, is telling his protégé Timothy to stand firm and maintain the integrity of the gospel. As we began this study this message cropped up (as it often does) in many places ~ other Bible studies, messages being preached on the radio, and on other blogs that I follow.

One of the sweetest articles I read was from Ann Voskamp’s slightly old blog post: Returning to Your First Love Bible Memorization: Make a Commitment Booklet

AHEbutton2

Some of my best go-to verses were memorized as a new believer when hiding God’s word in my heart (Psalm 119:11) was a daily transforming of my mind and a soaking in of the truth I so desperately needed to know.

Lately, I’ve been working on the Scripture Memory challenge with one of my  siestas over at the LPMBlog. What a fun way to get into the word and have accountability to get some memorization done! It would be fun to meet up with these sweet ladies at the Siesta Scripture Memorization Team gathering in Houston when it’s all over, but even if that doesn’t happen, I’ll have 24 verses forever imprinted on my heart. 

            Siesta Book 1Siesta Book 2

One of the most powerful reminders came when we were looking up cross-references for our 2 Timothy lesson. We went to 1 Corinthians 4:1-2, a verse that came to me early in my Christian walk and at a time when I sensed God beginning to call me as a leader and a teacher of His word. Being directed to this reference reaffirmed my calling to accurately handle God’s word (2 Tim 2:15) as a trustworthy steward. In fact I often drink my first morning coffee from this mug:

Trustworthy steward

Then to top it all off one of our pastors preached a really great sermon on this very topic part of our Moving Mountains series challenging our most cherished heresies in the church. This week’s sermon was based on the events at Mt. Sinai in Genesis 20, the handing down of the Ten Commandments and challenged us to consider whether or not our worldview allows that God’s word, in fact God Himself, is the source of truth.

I love it when God shows off this way! Giving His message through more than one person at a time. What a great God…a great, creative, truth-speaking God.

Here are few verses on Truth you might enjoy -

“Not to us, O Lord, not to us But to Your name give glory Because of Your lovingkindness because of Your truth.” Psalm 115:1

“Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favor and good repute
In the sight of God and man.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.”                       Proverbs 3:3-6

“Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”           John 14:6

“I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth." 1 Timothy 3:15

“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.” Philippians 4:8

Mmmm. That’s right friends, dwell on truth!

Blessings,

Tina 

All Verses: New American Standard Bible : 1995 update. 1995 LaHabra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment